Anyone who’s familiar with the term “gaycation” knows that it takes considerably more thought and planning than a typical vacation. Sadly, members of the gay community are not always given a warm welcome in every destination they visit, so safety is a top priority when booking gay-friendly travel.
Ogunquit, Maine is a small bustling beach community with a worldwide reputation for being exceptionally friendly to the LGBTQ+ community. Located halfway between Portland, Maine, and Boston, Massachusetts, Ogunquit is easily accessible by car, train, or plane from many destinations. Its ideal location, pristine beaches, famous fresh-caught Maine lobster, and vibrant nightlife have won the hearts of locals and tourists alike — straight, gay, and everything in between.
Ogunquit’s well-earned reputation goes far beyond simply offering gays a warm reception. In addition to the spectacular food and natural scenery, Ogunquit has a significant year-round gay population, making it an integral part of the small community. Many of the town’s independently owned restaurants and lodging options are not just gay-friendly, but gay-owned.
For those whose ideal vacation getaway involves sandy white beaches, lively dining and nightlife options, and gay-friendly hotels with plenty of charm and amenities to boot, Ogunquit, Maine should top your shortlist. In particular, the Footbridge Beach Motel is a wonderful destination for your next gaycation.
The Footbridge Beach Motel
Among Ogunquit’s gay-friendly motels and hotels, you really couldn’t ask for a better location than that of the Footbridge Beach Motel. Situated just off of bustling Main Street, the motel is a 3-minute walk from the storied Footbridge Beach and mere minutes away from a wide range of shopping, dining, nightlife, and outdoor activity options.
The Footbridge Beach Motel’s owners, Scott and Mark, know a thing or two about what travelers are looking for in gay-friendly hotels. They vacationed in Ogunquit for over 16 years before purchasing the motel in 2017. The couple has become well-known in Ogunquit for being extremely friendly and detail-oriented when it comes to the hotel. On various travel review sites, many past guests have commented on the motel’s chic decor and abundance of fresh flowers.
Guests at the pet-friendly Footbridge Beach Motel enjoy a heated outdoor pool and expansive sun deck, a community grill and picnic area complete with BBQ grills and all utensils, complimentary Wi-Fi, in-room fridges and microwaves, and a convenient trolley stop just across the street. Within one mile, there are numerous gay-friendly shops, restaurants, and bars to keep you busy, along with several LGBTQ+ events in Ogunquit throughout the year.
Where to Eat
For all of Ogunquit’s many gay-friendly motels, there are even more fabulous restaurants. Here are our top three.
- Bessie’s ─ Considered an Ogunquit staple, family-friendly Bessie’s serves up home cooking at extremely reasonable prices in the heart of downtown.
- BeachFire Bar & Grille ─ Located just next to the Footbridge Beach Motel, BeachFire has a wine and martini bar, a lively outdoor fire pit, and live jazz music upstairs.
- Barnacle Billy’s ─ Well-known for its lobster, harborside dining, and strong drinks, locals and visiting celebrities alike love Barnacle Billy’s.
Where to Drink & Dance
Ogunquit, Maine may be small, but it packs quite a punch when it comes to nightlife. Whether you’re looking for a nightcap at a quiet wine bar or to dance all night long, you’ll find it here.
- The Front Porch ─ Downtown Ogunquit’s very well-known piano bar is also an award-winning restaurant. The talent roster is impressive and draws a lively but refined crowd, making it a perfect spot for a dinner and entertainment date night.
- Mainestreet ─ The largest gay club in northern New England offers karaoke, DJs, drag shows, two tremendous dance floors, and outdoor decks with plenty of seating. There are also plenty of fun events throughout the year, such as ’80s Prom and the Winter Onesie Party.
What to Do
Sure, Ogunquit has the famous Footbridge Beach (with its very own gay-friendly section!), a lively arts scene, and the stunning Marginal Way coastal trail, but there are tons of special events throughout the year, too.
- EqualityMaine annual Pride Festival ─ Every June, Maine’s gay-friendly communities including Ogunquit unite to celebrate LGBTQ+ pride with a festival and flag-raising ceremony.
- Ogunquit Playhouse ─ Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this is one of the last remaining summer theaters, and it draws some mega-stars for shows during the season.
- Mr. Gay Ogunquit Speedo Competition ─ This annual event takes place over Labor Day weekend and is highly anticipated by the community. Local celebrity drag queens host the event, which is filled with other contests and games for all.
With so much to offer in terms of location, beach activities, dining, and nightlife, the Footbridge Beach Motel is a perfect gay-friendly getaway. Whether you’re traveling solo, as a couple, or as a family, contact us today to book your stay.